As all major airports across the country continued to maintain high alert, Government on Thursday said all measures have been taken to ensure safety and security of passengers at airports following heightened threat perceptions.
"There is a threat perception and we are taking all necessary steps" to meet the "primary concern" of providing security to passengers and the airports, Civil Aviation Secretary M Madhavan Nambiar said.
Maintaining that a nationwide alert notice for all international and some other airports was issued following the multiple terror strikes in Mumbai, Government's aviation security chief R R P N Sahi said, "it was made to augment the existing security arrangements ... Or to take them a step further to augment the prevailing security levels."
Without divulging details, Sahi, the Commissioner of Security (Civil Aviation), said the Bureau of Civil Aviation Security, which he heads, had issued guidelines to all concerned agencies and airlines to beef up security.
Nambiar also asked the electronic media "to ensure that no information is aired without proper verification. Let us not create panic."
In an appeal to the passengers, he said the airlines have been asked to inform the travellers that they should come before the required time for check-in due to the heightened security measures, like ladder-point checking.
Asked whether the "threats" were more to three airports at Delhi, Bangalore and Chennai, Nambiar said security had been beefed up at all international and some domestic airports.