The BK-Chaturvedi-headed panel that is looking into the Antrix-Devas deal submitted its report to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Saturday, pointing to systemic failures that allowed Antrix Corporation to enter into a controversial contract with Devas Multimedia Services without reference to the government.
It is not clear if the panel — that has taken a dim view of the existing procedures being followed in this context —
has identified individuals who appeared to have favoured Devas.
The government has already decided to scrap the deal and served notice of termination to the private company.
“All I can tell you is that I have submitted the report today,” Chaturvedi — a member at the planning commission and former cabinet secretary — said after submitting the report.
The PMO said Singh had referred the report to the cabinet secretary for examination and to make recommendations on follow up actions.
“The cabinet secretary has been asked to submit his recommendations within 15 days,” the PMO statement said.
Chaturvedi and space commission member Prof R Narasimha were tasked to review the controversial deal between Antrix and Devas Multimedia, suggest correctives and responsibility for lapses if any and suggest improvements and changes in processes and procedures followed by Antrix, ISRO and Department of Space.
Singh had earlier made it clear that Antrix had signed the contract under its own authority and then approached the government for approvals.
Antrix had entered into the pact with Devas in January 2005 for leasing part of the space segment capacity in S-band on two geostationary satellites. Antrix had earlier signed a memorandum of understanding in July 2003 with Forge Advisors of USA in 2003.