Army submits revised report on Nyoma incident | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Apr 24, 2017-Monday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Army submits revised report on Nyoma incident

delhi Updated: May 19, 2012 19:25 IST

Correcting its earlier attempt to downplay the serious clash between officers and jawans in Nyoma in Ladakh, the Army has submitted a revised report to the Defence Ministry bringing out its details.

The army had initially submitted a brief report in which it had dismissed the incident as a "minor scuffle" and the injuries suffered as "superficial".

With the media reporting the entire incident in detail with some sections even calling it a mutiny, defence minister AK Antony had asked the army to provide complete details.

The fresh report, submitted by the army two days ago, is being looked into by officials concerned, Defence Ministry sources said here.

The army is already carrying out a Court of Inquiry (CoI) into the incident and has "attached" the Commanding Officer of the 226 Field Regiment and other officers involved and jawans with it.

In the incident on May 10, after a major beat up a sahayak and did not allow him to be treated, there was resentment among other jawans.

Commanding Officer Col Kadam, who was camping in the nearby police guest house, immediately reached the scene and gauging the mood shouted at the Major for his reluctance to allow the injured 'sahayak' being taken for treatment.

Seeing this, the Major along with five of his officer colleagues beat the Commanding Officer, a Colonel, in front of jawans. This angered the jawans who then allegedly went berserk and beat up the other officers with sticks, the sources said.

Nearly 40 to 50 jawans then started a search for Major rank officers. Two were found in nearby camp and were beaten up, the sources said, adding they were rescued after an intervention by the local police.

However, the army had said the clash between the jawans and officers near Leh was an "isolated act of indiscipline" and not a mutiny and that the media had "sensationalised" the incident. It had also denied that any arms and ammunition were used during the incident.