ATM van heist solved, Rs 63.5 lakh recovered | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Mar 29, 2017-Wednesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

ATM van heist solved, Rs 63.5 lakh recovered

delhi Updated: Feb 05, 2011 23:45 IST

A week after four men fled with more than Rs 67.5 lakh meant to be deposited in various ATMs of the city in southeast Delhi’s Alaknanda area, Delhi Police on Saturday said that it had recovered a major share of the booty and arrested the ‘key conspirator’ from Uttar Pradesh.

“We recovered Rs 63.5 lakh of the stolen cash from the house of one of the accused in Etah yesterday following the arrest of three people including Arun Singh, 33, who was the mastermind of the operation,” said Amulya Patnaik, joint commissioner of police (southern range).

According to the police, Singh led them to their accomplice Pramod’s residence where the money was kept in two gunny bags in a room meant for keeping ‘tooda’ or cattlefeed.

“The gunman Sandeep Kumar, 24, driver Gautam, 20, and Singh were arrested on February 1 during different raids conducted in UP and Delhi.

Sandeep and Gautam, who worked for Scientific Security Management Private Ltd that provided security to the HDFC bank for filling ATMs with cash, were arrested by the Special Cell from the outskirts of Bulandshahr while Arun was apprehended from Samalkha by the Southeast district police,” said a senior police officer.

The police, however, are yet to nab two of the accused, Pramod and Sohan.

“They had planned the heist in November. Sandeep and Gautam joined the security agency under a fake identity and used forged documents,” Patnaik said.

The police also revealed that Singh had been working with different security agencies and knew everything about the process of loading ATMs with cash.

“On January 28, Singh and Pramod knew that Sandeep and Gautam had been deployed in the cash van. After the heist, they transferred the money to another vehicle in Faridabad and abandoned the van there. They separated at the Dadigarhi village, after which Pramod and Singh took the cash to Etah,” the officer said.