Badaun case: Eye-witness flunks lie-detector test | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 24, 2017-Friday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Badaun case: Eye-witness flunks lie-detector test

delhi Updated: Sep 17, 2014 23:22 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times
Badaun case

In a fresh twist, the main eyewitness in the case related to the alleged rape and murder of two minor girls in Badaun in May, Nazru, has allegedly flunked the polygraph test conducted on him by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI).

Further, the agency has also recovered Nazru’s mobile phone set, whose existence he had allegedly denied from the time the case was probed by the Uttar Pradesh (UP) police then the CBI since June 12, said a CBI source. The two girls went missing from their house on the night of May 27 and their bodies were found hanging from a mango tree in the village the next morning.

Nazru’s version was the pivot of the case’s First Information Report (FIR) and of the UP police then the CBI’s case against five arrested accused in the case including two local policemen. Last month, the CBI had decided against filing its chargesheet within the 90-day time limit against the five arrested men ---Pappu Yadav and his brothers Awadhesh and Urvesh and local police officials Chhatrapal Yadav and

Sarvesh Yadav---since it did not have any evidence linking them to the crime for now.

Earlier, a medical board set up by the CBI and the Hyderabad-based Centre for DNA Fingerprinting and Diagnostics (CDFD) had ruled out “any sexual assault or rape on the two victims”.

“Nazru’s lie-detector test report has been received and it showed certain key inconsistencies.” The source said, “A lot of facts disclosed by him could not be corroborated and he has been changing his statements,” said the source.

The phone set, which is suspected to contain likely evidence related the chain-of-events and the conspiracy behind the crime, has been sent for forensic examination, said the source. “He had denied from the beginning that his phone was not with him and that it fell in a river but accepted during interrogation that it was still available and not lost,” said the source.

“We have requested the medical board to expedite the submission of its final report to us on issues including the autopsies’ reports’ inconsistencies,” said the source.