BARC experts probe toxic material | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 21, 2017-Saturday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

BARC experts probe toxic material

delhi Updated: Apr 09, 2010 17:30 IST
Highlight Story

Experts from the Bhaba Atomic Research Centre (BARC) on Friday scanned the west Delhi industrial area where a "mild radiation leak" in a scrap shop left five persons injured and examined whether there was any other source of a similar emission in the vicinity.

The team, which first collected and isolated the mysterious shining object from the scrap shop in Mayapuri Industrial area in a sophisticated lid, had sent it for further investigations.

According to Deputy Commissioner of Police (West) Sharad Aggarwal, experts visited the Mayapuri scrap market this morning also and scanned the area to check whether there was any other source of radiation emission in the vicinity.

"The team had identified the source of radiation. They have collected the material and isolated it. They are examining it," Aggarwal told PTI.

"There is nothing to panic. It was a limited radiation. All precautions have been taken and so far the experts have not found any other source of radiation," he said.

Asked whether the radiation leak was sudden, Aggarwal said it appeared that it happened over a period of time.

After the news came to light last night, police cordoned off the area upto one km and did not allow people to enter the locality. There are around 200 scrap shops in the market.

Scientists from the Crisis Management Group of Department of Atomic Energy (DAE) and Atomic Energy Regulation Board had last night carried out the survey of the extent of radiation in the area.

The incident came to light on Thursday when Deepak Jain, the scrap dealer who suffered serious burn injuries, was yesterday rushed to Apollo Hospital which informed the government that he had suffered radiation, officials said.

He fell unconscious and his hands had turned black after coming into contact with the object, part of medical waste which was bought from a city hospital. Jain was later shifted to AIIMS From Apollo.

Four workers employed by him also suffered injuries in the incident.

Aggarwal said they expect to throw open the market to the public soon. "Further tests will be done by experts," he said.

Jain's relative Rajesh said that there were small black patches on the scrap dealer's body and they kept getting worse. Locals said there was a peculiar smell in the area.