Batla case: Sharma had sought local’s help | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Mar 29, 2017-Wednesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Batla case: Sharma had sought local’s help

delhi Updated: Oct 17, 2008 00:19 IST
Vijaita Singh

Before slain Inspector Mohan Chand Sharma took the bullets at L-18 in Batla House, Jamia Nagar, on September 19, he had sought a local person’s help in identifying the number of people present in the flat.

It was suspected that the main accused behind the serial blasts in Delhi were hiding in the house.

This information is from the preliminary report submitted by the Special Cell of Delhi Police to the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC).

Sharma had gone to the building acting on a specific tip off along with his colleague Head Constable Balwant Singh.

They were informed that the mastermind of the Delhi serial blasts — Atif alias Bashir — was hiding there and the inspector sought the help of a passerby whom they met on the staircase, the report said. Hindustan Times has access to the report.

On September 20, a day after the encounter took place, the Special Cell had submitted a preliminary report to the Secretary General of the rights body regarding the Batla House encounter which is a mandatory exercise.

The two-page report further read that the raiding team had received a specific tip off that Atif was hiding on the topmost floor (number 108) of the building.

“The raiding team met a passerby in the building who refused to help. Mohan Chand Sharma carried on and knocked on the

main door of the flat that was bolted from inside. The team members pushed the adjacent door that was open. There was sudden firing from inside the flat. During the cross firing, two militants sustained bullet injuries and two policemen were injured. The injured policemen and militants were rushed to a nearby hospital,” the report stated.

“The militants obstructed the police party in discharging their official duty and fired with an intention to kill. An interrogation is being conducted by the south Delhi police,” the report concluded.

After the encounter, Atif and Mohammad Sajid were dead and Mohammad Saif was arrested from the flat. Two others managed
to flee.

Police said it was only after the encounter that 25 more terrorists were arrested from all over the country.