The CBI has been allowed by a Delhi court to probe further into the alleged financial bunglings during the 2009 Queen’s Baton Relay (QBR) in London before the Commonwealth Games for “unearthing larger conspiracy”.
Special judge Talwant Singh allowed the CBI’s plea seeking the court’s permission to probe further into the case in which six accused, including two UK-based firms, had been chargesheeted by the agency on August 17.
During hearing on the CBI’s plea, prosecutor VK Sharma said “this application has been moved only with a view to unearth the larger conspiracy.”
The court allowed the plea observing that similar prayer was mentioned in the chargesheet filed against former CWG Organising Committee (OC) joint director-general TS Darbari, deputy director-general Sanjay Mahendroo, its treasurer M Jaychandran and London-based businessman Ashish Patel and his firms — AM Car and Van Hire Ltd and AM Films.
“The application is allowed,” the judge said.