‘Be accurate in narration of facts’ | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 24, 2017-Tuesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

‘Be accurate in narration of facts’

delhi Updated: Feb 21, 2010 00:40 IST
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

A number of readers have been asking me for information on consumer courts, particularly on the correct way to file a complaint and seek redress.

I must clarify that even though these are popularly known as consumer courts, the redressal agencies constituted under the Consumer Protection Act are quasi-judicial bodies.

They follow simple, summary procedure. So you need not hire a lawyer to file your complaint.

However, you must ensure that your complaint is backed by adequate proof.

The documentary evidence could be receipts for payments made, contracts or agreements between the service provider and you, letters of complaint written by you or affidavits of persons confirming or supporting your allegation, expert opinions, case laws that support your case, even articles in newspapers and specialised journals.

Once you have put together all your documents, be accurate in narration of facts and be clear on the relief that you seek.

Begin by mentioning the District Forum before which you will file the complaint and provide space for the Forum to put the complaint number.

Next, give your full name and address as the complainant and the full name and address of the respondent.

Log on to www.fcamin.nic.in and click on the icon of ‘Department of Consumer Affairs’ to access the “Form for Complaint”.

This form should be of help to you in filing the complaint.