‘Best friend’ arrested for teen’s kidnapping, murder | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 28, 2017-Tuesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

‘Best friend’ arrested for teen’s kidnapping, murder

delhi Updated: Jan 11, 2010 00:04 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times
Raju Roy

The 19-year-old son of homeopathic doctor Shrimal Roy was brutally murdered four days into the new year — by his closest friend, police said.

Raju Roy (19) was kidnapped for money and then killed by 23 year old Viplav Biswas, a distant cousin and his "best friend", according to police.

The incident happened on January 4, in Rohini in Outer Delhi. The South Delhi Police have arrested three accused in the case. The Outer Delhi Police had arrested another accused earlier.

Raju, a resident of Mangolpuri Kalan in Rohini, was allegedly kidnapped on January 4. His dead body was found in his Santro car the next day from Karnal in Haryana. He had been stabbed 28 times.

According to police, it was the CCTV footage, taken from an ATM in Gannor Sonepat that helped them nab the accused.

The police said that the first breakthrough in the case was made when the Outer Delhi Police nabbed Deepak Kumar (23) a resident of Mangolpuri. “We were able to recognize him based on the CCTV footage. He then spilled the beans about the whole incident," said Deputy Commissioner of Police (Outer) Atul Katiyar.

According to police, Biswas told them that the deceased Raju was his distant cousin.

"Biswas used to pay visits to Raju's house and the Roy family believed him to be a jovial and happy boy. But Biswas wanted to lead the good life. He hatched a conspiracy with two other known local criminals and one of his friends to kidnap Raju and ask for ransom money," said Deputy Commissioner of Police (South) HGS Dhaliwal.

He added that Biswas on January 4, called the deceased to his father's clinic for a party, where other accomplices were waiting to allegedly kidnap him.

When the deceased reached the clinic, he was overpowered and kidnapped in his own Santro Car by accused Deepak Singh (23), Deepak Kumar (23) and Hardeep (23).

The police said that the accused took him to Gannor, where they met with another accused Manish Varma. The accused took Roy to the agricultural fields of village Beoli in Panipat, Haryana.

"Hardeep made a ransom call for Rs. 20 lakh to the father of deceased," added Dhaliwal. The police said that they also withdrew Rs. 15, 000 from Roy's account with the help of the guard at the ATM who switched off the lights while the accused took out the money.

Police said that Biswas, who was with Raju's family through the incident, allegedly ordered his accomplices to kill Raju after he felt that police was on their trail.

"Viplav made a call to Hardeep and told him to eliminate him. The accused first forced the head of the deceased in a pit full of water and then stabbed him 28 times," added Dhaliwal.