Delhi commuters can breathe easy. With the Games concluding, the shortage of public transport, too, is over. The 1,600 Blueline buses, that were pulled off the roads before the Games began, are expected to be back on city roads in the next couple of days.
Though the buses were expected back from Monday, the Delhi government's Transport Department has decided to extend the embargo till October 20.
The final decision will be taken at a meeting on Monday, that is expected to be chaired by Transport Minister Arvinder Singh Lovely.
"There are still some athletes and delegates left in the city and we want Blueline buses back on roads, only when all of them leave," said a senior transport department official, who did not wish to be named.
"The government has already allowed commercial vehicles to ply on Delhi roads, but we are being asked to keep buses off the roads till October 20," said Shyamlal Gola, spokesperson, Delhi Bus Ekta Manch.
The buses went off the roads last month, after the Delhi Government decided to temporarily withdraw the Blueline's service in the south and central Delhi areas, in view of the Games.
"We agreed to pull out our buses in national interest but now the government should keep its word and allow them back," Gola said.
"Both bus operators and commuters are suffering, due to the Blueline buses being off road for more than a fortnight."
He added, "We will request the government in the meeting tomorrow to let us ply our buses in all the routes where their movement was restricted. If they agree, buses will be back on road by afternoon," he said.
In more good news for commuters, the Delhi Transport Corporation too will start rolling out the 1,000 buses used during the Games to ferry delegates, athletes and spectators.
These buses will be added to the present fleet of 6,000 low-floor and standard-size DTC buses.