Despite 80 per cent of Bluelines staying off the capital's roads on Monday, the 'killer' buses kept up their notorious reputation by severely injuring two people in separate incidents.
In the first incident, 17-year-old Mohammed Tahir sustained critical injuries after being hit by a Blueline, plying on route 479 between Punjabi Bagh and Badarpur area, while he was crossing the road near Badarpur terminal in south Delhi this evening.
Police said Tahir, who lives nearby, was taken to the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIMS). The driver and conductor of the bus managed to flee.
"We have impounded the bus and further investigations are on," a police official said.
In another incident, an auto rickshaw driver was injured after a Blueline, plying on route 49 between Inderpuri and Okhla, hit his vehicle from behind.
The mishap occurred in the Naraina area of southwest Delhi on Monday evening.
Police said bus driver, Vijay (45), has been arrested.
On Friday, Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit had directed Blueline operators to stay off the roads and undergo a special test before taking on commuters.
On Sunday, nearly 1,400 buses were tested and 50 per cent declared unfit.
Bluelines, numbering 4,200, have been under attack for speeding and reckless driving which has led to 64 people being killed and over 150 injured so far this year. In the current month, Blueline buses have resulted in nine deaths.