A Delhi court on Tuesday directed the CBI to produce the original documents related to Bofors payoff scam seized by it in 1997 from Win Chadha, an accused in the case.
Chief metropolitan magistrate Vinod Yadav asked the CBI to produce the documents on May 12 after the agency submitted that it has no objection in releasing them.
The criminal proceedings against Win Chadha were abated after his died in 2001.
Earlier on April 15 also, the court had directed the CBI to produce the documents.
Win Chadha's son Hersh Washesher Chadha had filed the application seeking release of the documents on the ground that there was no criminal proceeding pending in the case against any accused person after the court accepted CBI's plea to withdraw the case against Italian businessman Ottavio Quattrocchi.
Advocate Ajay Agrawal, who had earlier opposed the CBI's move seeking withdrawal of prosecution against the sole surviving accused in the bofors scam Quattrocchi, told the court that he has no objection if the documents are released.
Win Chadha had died on October 24, 2001, following which the criminal proceedings against him had been abated.
"It is therefore, most respectfully prayed that this court may kindly be pleased to direct CBI to release the documents/articles mentioned in the seizure memo dated May 1, 1997, to the applicant or the applicant's authorised representative," Chadha's son had said in his application filed before the CMM on April 7.
"The officials of CBI seized a number of documents and articles from the office and residence of late Washesher Nath Chadha (Win Chadha) on May 1, 1997, by way of executing number of seizure memos in which the particulars of the documents/articles are described.
"These documents/articles belong to late Chadha and his other family members including the applicant, which have no concern with the case of CBI," he had said.