Bomb scare at Delhi’s GK-1 area sends police into a tizzy | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 22, 2017-Sunday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Bomb scare at Delhi’s GK-1 area sends police into a tizzy

delhi Updated: Jan 07, 2016 22:36 IST
Highlight Story

Police was sent into a tizzy on Thursday after they received a call from a person claiming that a bomb was fitted to a scooter with a Jammu and Kashmir registration number in southeast Delhi’s Greater Kailash-I area.

The call was received at around 6.30pm following which police teams, along with a bomb disposal squad, was sent for a search operation but no bomb was found,” DCP (South East) MS Randhawa said.

The caller told the police that there were two scooters parked at a market in GK-I area for quite some time, and the one bearing a registration number pertaining to Jammu and Kashmir, had some “suspicious object” in it, a police official said.

The area, teeming with shoppers and guests of scores of restaurants and pubs located nearby, was searched. The scooters were soon found and the suspicious object turned out to be a large battery, the official added.

Security was stepped up at Indira Gandhi International Airport on Wednesday after its control room received a “non-specific call” about a man heading for Germany after “doing something big” in Delhi.

A senior official said that such calls are technically called non-specific calls and that particular one originated from an international number, suspected to be executed through the internet.

A day before the airport incident, the police control room received a call about a bomb at Parliament but that too turned to be a hoax, and the caller was tracked down to a northeast Delhi locality.

The caller was a 40-year-old mentally challenged person who called up the control room at around 6.10pm, after which several police teams, along with bomb disposal squads and fire tenders were rushed to the Parliament.

The national capital is on a high alert till January 26 and security has been already stepped up following the terror attack at the Pathankot air base while police have received inputs about the presence of suspected Jaish-e-Mohammad members in New Delhi.