Bombers had synchronised digital watches | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Mar 29, 2017-Wednesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Bombers had synchronised digital watches

delhi Updated: Sep 25, 2008 00:52 IST
Vijaita Singh

Mohammad Shakeel, the alleged Indian Mujahideen’s ideologue after Atif Ameen alias Bashir, has told the Delhi Police he had the “discretion to choose the timing” of the explosions.

“Before getting down from an autorickshaw at Gaffar Market, Shakeel took out the pencil cell from the nine-kilograms of explosives he was carrying in a pressure cooker. The bomb was timed to explode exactly half an hour later,” a senior police officer said.

“As per Atif’s plan, Shakeel’s bomb was set to explode first. It got delayed as Shakeel was waiting for enough people to gather near the autorickshaw so that it caused maximum damage,” said the officer.

“Shakeel took out the pencil battery at 5.37 p.m. on September 13 from the timer device of the bomb. The bomb exploded at 6.07 pm,” said a senior police officer.

The south district police arrested Shakeel along with Zia-ur-Rehman and Saqib Nissar on Sunday.

In another major development, the police claimed to have identified the businessman who was funding the Indian Mujahideen (IM) group. An Azamgarh-based businessman has been detained by the police and is being questioned.

Bombers had synchronised digital watches

All the other bombers wore “synchronized digital watches” on the day of the blasts, the police said. “The timings in all the wristwatches had been synchronized so that there was no confusion. All the bombs were set to explode within half an hour from 6 p.m. onwards,” said the officer.

On Tuesday, the police recovered eight watches from Shakeel’s Sangam Vihar house. The south district police claimed to have recovered some explosives and adhesive tapes that were to be used to blast Nehru Place. The same set of wrist watches were recovered from Ahmedabad as well.

Clippings found in Atif’s phone

The police claim to have recovered clippings of the bombs that were clicked before the blasts. The pictures were recovered from Atif’s mobile phone found at L-18 Jamia Nagar on September 19. Prior to the Ahmedabad blasts on July 26, Atif had clicked the pictures of the “consignment of explosives” and the two cars that were used in the blasts.