Boy dies after ‘fall’ from 8th floor, family cries foul | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 22, 2017-Wednesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Boy dies after ‘fall’ from 8th floor, family cries foul

delhi Updated: Sep 07, 2012 01:21 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times
New Delhi

A 14-year-old student died in mysterious circumstances at his southwest Delhi residence on Wednesday evening. While police said Vaibhav Kumar jumped to his death, the Class 9 student’s family alleged it was a cold-blooded murder.

Police said Kumar jumped from the eighth floor of Skylark Apartments in Dwarka Sector 6 around 10pm.

“He was rushed to a nearby hospital by his father but was declared dead. We were intimated about the incident by his family at 10:08 pm. His parents and several other residents were looking for him when they heard something hitting the floor of the compound,” said a senior police officer.

Kumar, a student of Bal Bharti School and a promising athlete who had participated in an international rope-jumping event in Japan last year, was last seen leaving for his tuition class at 6pm, police said.

Worried when he did not return home even after two hours, his family, led by his doctor father Vijendra who runs a clinic at Vishnu Garden, began a frantic search for him around 8:30pm.

An hour and a half later, Vaibhav’s younger sister Vaishali rushed out after hearing a thud, only to see her brother’s body lying in a heap.

“My son had no reason to take such an extreme step,” his father said. “There were bruises and other injuries, implying he was assaulted before being pushed off the terrace,” he claimed. He said Vaibhav was to represent his school in an 800-metre run and at a long jump competition at a national level meet this year.

The police said they had reason to believe that it was a clear case of suicide.

“The victim’s post-mortem examination has been conducted and the report is awaited. We have got the spot examined by the crime team as well as forensic experts. CCTV footage is being procured to shed more light on the incident,” the officer said, adding inquest proceedings had been initiated.