BSP leader-tycoon shot dead in Delhi farmhouse | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 27, 2017-Monday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

BSP leader-tycoon shot dead in Delhi farmhouse

delhi Updated: Mar 27, 2013 02:22 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times
Deepak Bhardwaj


Two men walked into the south Delhi farmhouse of BSP leader and real estate-to-hospitality tycoon Deepak Bhardwaj, shot him dead and walked off unhurriedly — around 9am on Tuesday.

Sixty-two-year-old Bhardwaj was taking his morning walk inside the 35-acre farmhouse — which also houses a hotel complex and a marriage hall. At first, he and his men thought the duo had come to book the hall.

The men, however, got into a heated argument with Bhardwaj and shot him twice, probably killing him instantly.

Police said around 8.55am, three men arrived at Bhardwaj’s property in a grey Skoda Octavia Superb and made enquiries about booking the marriage hall. Then, two of them got out of the car and walked into the compound.

After the shooting, the assailants got out of the compound through the same gate they had entered from, threatening the guard with their country-made revolvers, and got into the car, which sped off towards Gurgaon.

Bhardwaj was rushed to the Army Hospital Research and Referral near Vasant Vihar where doctors declared him dead. Later, his body was sent to AIIMS for autopsy.

A contestant in the 2009 Lok Sabha elections on a BSP ticket, Bhardwaj happened to be one of the richest candidates to have contested the polls with declared assets of more than Rs. 603 crore.

Apart from a school in southwest Delhi’s Dwarka and a number of large properties all over north India — including an apartment complex currently under construction at Uttarakhand’s Haridwar — he reportedly owns huge tracts of land in Dubai and Canada as well.

Estranged from his wife who stays in Dwarka’s sector 22, Bhardwaj has two sons — Nitesh, 32, and Hitesh, 35 — who live separately and handle his education and real estate businesses, respectively.

Delhi Police chief Neeraj Kumar said minutes after the episode was reported: “We have video footage of their get-away car and will solve the case soon.”