The Planning Commission has asked the Mayawati government in Uttar Pradesh to give details of the money spent and work done under the Bundelkhand Special Package to the state.
A monitoring committee on Monday reviewed the progress of the Rs7266 crore package approved by the UPA government two years back for the drought-hit region in Uttar Pradesh and Madhya Pradesh.
The UP assembly recently passed a resolution to divide the state UP into four parts — Bundelkhand being one of them — for better administration and development. The state is going to polls early next year.
At a public hearing on Bundelkhand in the Capital last week, Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi's said the state had failed in delivering benefits to the Bundelkhand poor. “The package was sent because of the drought, backwardness and migration in the region. It is not the Centre’s or UP’s, it is yours,” he had said.
The monitoring panel, which expressed satisfaction with the progress in the BJP-ruled Madhya Pradesh, questioned the information provided by the UP officials.
"While MP faired well, there are some gaps in information (money utilised etc) in case of UP. We have asked the state to furnish details immediately, so that we can asses the progress properly," Mihir Shah, co-chair of the panel told HT after the meet. The plan panel has called another review with UP officials later this month.
Planning commission deputy chief Montek Singh Ahluwalia and member secretary Sudha Pillai, who visited the Uttar Pradesh earlier, found the progress un-satisfactory.
“The physical progress which should have been 50% of the package target by now, stands as low as 25 % in case of UP,” J S Samrat, CEO, National Rainfed Area Authority and member of review committee said.