Businessman shot in Delhi’s Adarsh Nagar | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Mar 31, 2017-Friday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Businessman shot in Delhi’s Adarsh Nagar

delhi Updated: Jun 11, 2016 23:46 IST
HT Correspondent
businessman shot

Vijay Kumar Wadhwa who was shot dead in Adarsh Nagar.

A 58-year-old businessman was allegedly shot dead on Friday night by two assailants on motorcycles at Majlis Park area in Adarsh Nagar. A techie, who had stopped his car behind the businessman’s scooter to intervene, was also shot at.

The man, Vijay Kumar Wadhwa, was returning to his house in Kewal Park from his clothes shop in Jahangirpuri around 9pm on his Activa scooter when the two men signalled him to stop. The men allegedly snatched his briefcase that had his keys and some documents. When Kumar tried to fight back, the two opened fire.

Local resident Siddharth Jain, who was behind Kumar, took his car ahead to help him. As he tried to intervene, the men opened fired at him. The pellets hit the windshield of his car and the glass was shattered. One of the pieces hit his eye and he was injured.

Hearing the gunshots, the locals gathered on the spot and made a PCR call. Kumar was rushed to the hospital but he was declared dead on arrival. His family was then informed. Vijay’s son claimed that he came to know about the incident around 10pm.

“When we reached the spot, my father was just lying there. So we immediately put him in a gypsy and took him to Fortis Hospital. But he was declared dead,” recounted his son.

He added his father had been taking the route for the past 20 years. Vijay’s family hails from Punjab. They had moved to Delhi during the 1984 riots and rented a house in Kewal Park.

A senior police officer said, “A case of murder and robbery has been registered and we have formed teams to identify the assailants.”

Kewal Krishan, the landlord of the house where Wadhwa stayed with his family, further claimed that before shooting Vijay, the assailants snatched the bag that he was carrying.

No arrests have been made so far.