Unhappy at being repeatedly denied permission by the law ministry to move the Supreme Court on terror charges against actor and Samajwadi Party leader, Sanjay Dutt, the CBI has asked for a final decision.
The CBI has asked its controlling authority — the department of personnel and training — for a final decision in a request made earlier this month, said a source who didn’t want to be named.
The CBI wants to appeal against a Mumbai special court’s decision to drop Terrorist and Disruptive Activities (Prevention) Act (TADA) charges against Dutt in the 1993 Mumbai blasts case. The actor was sentenced to six years in jail on July 31, 2007 after the court held him guilty under the Arms Act for illegally possessing an AK-56 rifle and a 9mm pistol.
He was, however, cleared of TADA charges. Dutt promptly challenged his conviction in the Supreme Court and got bail.
The CBI’s attempts in the last two years to get the government’s nod to move against Dutt have failed. Attorney General G. E. Vahanvati and Solicitor General Gopal Subramanium have said “it was not a fit case for appeal”.
“The CBI has now approached the DoPT seeking direction on what should it do,” the source said.