CBI officer commits suicide in South Delhi | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 25, 2017-Saturday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

CBI officer commits suicide in South Delhi

delhi Updated: Apr 02, 2013 23:44 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times

On a day when the country’s premier investigation agency was celebrating its 50th anniversary, one of its senior officials, allegedly bogged down by severe workload, committed suicide at his south Delhi residence.

Karan Arya, a 43-year-old deputy superintendent (DSP) posted in the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI), was found hanging from a ceiling fan at his house in Vasant Vihar’s CBI Colony around 4:40 pm.

“He was under severe depression and was also undergoing treatment for the same from VIMHANS in northeast Delhi,” said a police officer adding that Arya did not leave behind any suicide note.

Police said the incident was discovered when his daughters returned from school and saw him hanging from the ceiling fan.

He was rushed to an adjacent hospital where doctors declared him dead. According to a senior CBI official, Arya had joined the unit as a sub inspector in 1993 and had been promoted to the rank of DSP in 2010.

He was currently posted in the Special Crime (SC) Unit 1 of the CBI, which is mandated to investigate murder cases.

Some of his colleagues claimed Arya had been bogged down by work over the last fortnight, which had further aggravated his depression.

In fact, Arya had not been going to work for the last four days. Police said inquest proceedings were under way.

Meanwhile, a class XI student committed suicide by hanging himself at his house in outer Delhi’s Sultanpuri, police said on Tuesday.

The victim was suffering from depression because of poor performance in his exams.

“A neighbour saw Rahul, 16, hanging from a ceiling fan at his house in Sultanpuri on Monday evening. He was depressed over the poor exam results since Saturday. However, no suicide note was found,” said a police officer adding the teenager is survived by his father.

Police said the body has been sent for a post-mortem examination to the Sanjay Gandhi Memorial hospital.