CBI raided secretariat under ‘political pressure’: Delhi govt

  • HT Correspondent, Hindustan Times, New Delhi
  • Updated: Jan 23, 2016 01:17 IST
The AAP government said the CBI conducted raids at the office of Delhi chief minister Arvind Kejriwal’s principal secretary’s office last month under “undue political pressure. (Ajay Aggarwal/HT File Photo)

The AAP government on Friday charged the CBI with conducting raids at the office of Delhi chief minister Arvind Kejriwal’s principal secretary’s office last month under “undue political pressure”.

In an affidavit filed at the Delhi high court, the city government accused the CBI of raiding the office of Rajendra Kumar, located next to the chief minister’s office in the Delhi Secretariat, in “unprecedented haste” and “indiscriminately” seizing documents.

“The raid was thus not only devoid of merit but also smacked of vindictiveness and malafides,” said the affidavit filed in response to CBI’s plea challenging a trial court’s direction to return some documents seized by the agency during the December 15, 2015 raid.

The HC on Thursday had issued notices to AAP government and Kumar on CBI’s plea against return of some of the documents seized during the raid. It, however, had refrained from passing any interim order on CBI’s plea and posted the matter for further hearing on January 25.

“The sole object of the raid at said premises was to malafidely intrude, obstruct and dislocate the work of the government of NCT of Delhi as such and cause immense harm, juxtaposed with status functions to secure societal reforms, welfare, security and privacy,” the affidavit, filed through Delhi government’s senior standing counsel Rahul Mehra and standing counsel Richa Kapoor, said.

The trial court’s special judge on January 20 had also castigated the CBI for flouting its own manual by seizing documents without showing how they were related to the alleged graft case against Kumar.

The CBI, in its petition, had claimed that the special CBI judge had failed to appreciate that the Delhi government has already obtained photocopies of the documents seized and thus the order of returning the documents was “wholly misconceived”.

The central agency had said, “Many relevant witnesses are yet to be examined in light of the documents in question,” and the special court order “has given undue advantage to the Delhi government”.

“Any disclosure of evidence collected so far to any person, whether accused or a non party i.e. Delhi government in the instant case, would have prejudiced the larger interest of the justice and fair investigation,” the CBI said.

also read

5 lakh entry fee and posh cars: South Delhi’s illegal casino in pics
Show comments