Centre sends stinker to Bihar on Maoists | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Dec 06, 2016-Tuesday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Centre sends stinker to Bihar on Maoists

delhi Updated: Aug 19, 2013 02:45 IST
Aloke Tikku
Aloke Tikku
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

Bihar chief minister Nitish Kumar’s development model might have won him accolades but his anti-Maoist offensive isn’t going anywhere.

The home ministry has finally asked Nitish to deliberate on the mounting Maoist challenge before they carry out another attack.

Maoists have already carried out three grand attacks in Bihar this year and the state is the only one amongst nine naxal-affected states to have witnessed a sharp increase in violence.

Home ministry statistics show that the state government has been losing ground to the guerillas — from the number of security personnel killed to police weapons looted. http://www.hindustantimes.com/Images/Popup/2013/8/19_08_pg9a.jpg

Infact, the minister of state for home affairs RPN Singh had told Parliament this week that the July 17 attack on the camp of the Special Auxiliary Police in which three policemen were killed and 30 sophisticated weapons looted, was “the largest CPI (Maoist) looting in recent years”.

Singh also alluded to the home ministry’s stinker sent a fortnight back when he declared that Bihar had been “requested” to take necessary measures “to effectively combat CPI (Maoist) and improve inter-state border coordination with Jharkhand”.

Government officials earlier this year had threatened to pull back central troops so that they could be used more productively elsewhere in the anti-Maoist theatre. At the CM’s conference in June, the home ministry had tried to get an assurance that the offensive would be put back on track.

Officials said a soft approach in Bihar also left the doors open for Maoists who feel the heat in adjoining Jharkhand.