‘Cheated’ by ill-fated end? | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 17, 2017-Tuesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

‘Cheated’ by ill-fated end?

delhi Updated: Mar 02, 2011 00:04 IST
Karan Choudhury
Karan Choudhury
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

If the Crime Branch of the Delhi Police is to be believed, then 29-year-old Neetu Solanki may have been part of a cheating racket, along with her partner, Raju Gehlot. Solanki was found dead outside the New Delhi railway station on February 11, inside a bag, with her hands tied.

Police have strong reason to suspect that Neetu, along with Gehlot, had been running a cheating racket for the last 19 months. “We are investigating this particular angle. We believe Gehlot was taking loans on cars on the basis of false documents,” said a senior police officer on the condition of anonymity, as he is not authorised to speak to the media.

“He would then sell the cars. We believe Gehlot began the racket and involved the deceased in it as well,” the officer added.

The police say that they were constantly changing addresses in the Capital. They did not stay at the same house for longer than a month or two. And wherever they stayed, they gave fake documents to landlords.

“The last house they rented was in Hari Nagar, where they gave their landlord false documents,” added the officer.

According to the police, the initial interrogation of Naveen Shokeen, Gehlot’s relative — who has been arrested for allegedly harbouring the main accused — has revealed that both Gehlot and Solanki wanted to get rich quick.

“He told us that Gehlot aspired to earn money as fast as possible. We believe that he hatched the plan of the cheating racket and most probably, involved the deceased in it as well,” added the officer.

The police said although the reasons behind the murder are not clear yet, Neetu might have developed ‘cold feet’ vis-à-vis the cheating racket, leading to her murder.

Ironically, it was only after the father of the deceased went to the police to claim the body that the police managed to make headway in the case. For almost two weeks, the body was kept at the Subzi Mandi mortuary.

Even after sending the photograph of the victim to other police stations — in the National Capital Region and other states — the police were unable to find out who the victim was.

“It was only after my father went to the police that they were able to establish the identity of my sister. Before that, they did not have a clue,” said Alka Solanki, Neetu’s sister.