Home Minister P Chidambaram on Wednesday said he has asked the investigative agencies to speed up the Batla House incident case in which final chargesheets have been filed.
In the Batla House incident on September 19, 2008, two alleged terrorists and Delhi Police Inspector MC Sharma were killed in exchange of fire.
"This morning, I asked my officers to complete (the case)," Chidambaram said during Question Hour in the Rajya Sabha.
He said the investigating agencies were doing their job transparently and the government would seek prosecution only according to proof.
"We will not pursue the case against those against whom there are no leads," the Home Minister said.
The final chargesheets have been filed in the case last month.
Chidambaram said the incident had evoked extreme reactions. "Irrespective of reactions and passions, I can say that we will only go by the law," he said.
While the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) had enquired into the encounter, court cases were filed for judicial probes into the incident. However, the High Court had declined the request for an independent judicial enquiry and its ruling was upheld by the Supreme Court.
Kamal Akhtar (SP), who had raised the question, wondered whether the Batla House enquiry would be done on the same lines as in the case of Ajmer blast, where there were allegations of RSS involvement. BJP members protested reference to RSS by the SP member.
Chidambaram expressed full confidence in the "independent judicial system".
He said whenever a case ends in a conviction or an acquittal, it is a "tribute to our independent judicial system". No malafide intentions can be attached and if doubts are raised on all such judgements, then every case would come under cloud, he added.