Children recall horror stories | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 20, 2017-Friday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Children recall horror stories

delhi Updated: Feb 14, 2012 00:44 IST
Highlight Story

Thoroughly scared after the horror tales, thirty eight-year-old Rehana is anxious get both her children back from Arya orphanage. She claimed that when she went to the orphanage to get her children out, the authorities refused.

"When I got to know about the death of an 11-year-old girl on December 24, I rushed to the orphanage to get them back home with me. But the authorities refused, saying it was middle of the session," said Rehana.

"I don't know whether they have also been victimised similarly. My eldest son used to live there a few years back but one day he I got a call from police that he had run away. Later on, he told me that the staff used to beat him up," she added.

Rehana is now determined to get her children back. "I will get back my other children too after their annual exam. At least they will be alive here," she added.

Pinky (friend of 11-year-old who died on in December 24)

Recounting the tales of horror brings tears to 12-year-old Pinky's eyes. She was a friend of the 11-year-old girl who died. Leaving the orphanage meant a pause in her dreams of becoming a doctor. But she said she was not willing to fulfill her dreams at the cost of her safety.

"The wardens used to beat us up and the seniors used to pass lewd remarks. There was no one with whom we could share our trauma. For years, we lived in pain but after her death (11-year-old) we decided to break our silence," said Pinky.

"I always wanted to return home as people at the orphanage used to do wrong things. The fact that I was getting to attend school kept me going," she said.

Rita (sister of 11-year-old)

The death of her sister has left her numb with shock and pain. 10-year-old Rita still shudders at the thought of going back to the orphanage.

She alleged that the authorities did not allow her to meet her sister even though they lived in the same orphanage. "Didi used to hit us without any reason. We were not allowed to venture out of our rooms. The atmosphere was always thick with fear and tension," she said. The girl was so traumatised that when the reporter tried to speak to her, she hid behind her mother's sari.

(Names have been name changed)