Cops look for ‘explanation’ | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 17, 2017-Tuesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Cops look for ‘explanation’

delhi Updated: Jan 14, 2011 23:26 IST

Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

Hours after armed robbers unleashed a spate of fear with separate attacks across southwest, south and west Delhi, the police sought solace in explanations.

The first incident was projected as a failed robbery attempt; the second a result of the victim’s callousness; and the third, initially, was dismissed on grounds of “fishy” claims.

“In the incident that was reported from Dwarka’s sector 7, the assailants were stopped well in time and were not able to escape with any cash or valuables. We have registered a case of attempt to murder case,” said a senior police office, adding that the incident was reported from the Vardhaman Plaza located in Dwarka’s sector 7 at 10.15am.

“Two armed assailants barged into a Kotak Mahindra Bank ATM. When the security guard, Amarpal tried to stop them, one of them shot him in the left side of his jaw with a country-made pistol. He is recuperating at the DDU Hospital.”

“In South Extension-I, a local jeweller’s employee, Shriram, had parked his motorcycle a kilometre away from the spot to save petrol and the guard accompanying him was unarmed. Shriram was going to deposit money at the Indian Overseas Bank ATM. He hadn’t properly slung the bag containing the cash on his back. Proper precautions should have been taken,” maintained HGS Dhaliwal, deputy commissioner of police (south). He said Shriram, who was rushed to the AIIMS by passersby, is recovering from a gunshot injury on the right side of his stomach. The assailants fled with R11.40 lakh from him.

At West Delhi’s Vikaspuri, police suspected that the victim’s claims seemed to be fishy, as the PCR call was made two hours after the incident. “The victim, Prem Narayan, said the incident in which two men had punched him in the face before they ran away with a bag containing R1.85 lakh, had occurred at 1.06 pm but he reported it at 3.05pm,” said V Renganathan, deputy commissioner of police (west). Later in the evening, the police finally registered a case.