Cops made us wait for body, claims family | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 21, 2017-Saturday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Cops made us wait for body, claims family

delhi Updated: Mar 01, 2012 23:41 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

The grieving family members of Anil Kumar Arora, 66, who died after being pushed by a Delhi Police constable on Tuesday night, had to wait for nearly 48 hours to claim the body. Mohit Arora, the victim’s son alleged that the police deliberately delayed the process to further torture the family.

“He was brought dead to Safdarjung Hospital on Tuesday night. They didn’t conduct the post mortem examination on Wednesday and even till Thursday afternoon. The body was handed over to us around 4 pm on Thursday. As if the torture at the Dhaula Kuan police post was not enough the police made us wait for the body as well,” Mohit said.

However, despite the apathy, the Arora family has decided to donate Anil’s eyes to help someone in need. “He used to talk about donating his eyes after death. So, when doctors asked us, we said yes,” he added.

The angry relatives have blamed the police for Anil’s death. “He was very happy. The whole family had left for Dwarka around 4 pm to attend a ceremony. We had never imagined that we would return without my father,” Kamna Arora, Anil’s daughter said.

Anil was an accountant at a Delhi University college and had retired in December 2005.

“Six years ago, he had suffered a minor heart attack but since then, he was absolutely fine. He was taking regular medicines. It was when the constable pushed him that he fell down. The cops were not even ready to take him to the hospital,” Mohit further said.

Mohit, who runs a fitness centre at east Delhi’s Geeta Colony was coming from Dwarka with his family and had stopped his car at Dhaula Kuan to look for drinking water.

“I asked a constable (later identified as Vikram Singh) where would I get drinking water. As he didn’t respond, I started moving towards the police post and it was then that Singh held my collar and started dragging me towards the post,” he said. Anil also started following his son and entered the police post. During an argument, Singh pushed Anil and he fell unconscious.

The Delhi Police’s crime branch is now probing the role of the constable. “We are investigating the matter and the guilty will be punished,” Ashok Chand, DCP (crime) said. The police are waiting for the post mortem report to ascertain the cause of death.