Cops rapped for giving media info on LeT man | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Apr 23, 2017-Sunday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Cops rapped for giving media info on LeT man

delhi Updated: Aug 27, 2009 01:09 IST
Vijaita Singh

The Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) has shot off a letter to police chief Y S Dadwal asking for an explanation why “half-baked” information pertaining to a suspected Lashkar-e-Tayyeba (LeT) terrorist was leaked to the media.

Mohammad Aslam, alias Saleem, was apprehended from New Delhi Railway Station on Tuesday by the Special Cell — the anti-terror wing of Delhi Police — on the basis of an information provided by the Intelligence Bureau (IB) .

Barely an hour after arresting him, Special Cell chief P N Aggarwal reached the station and gave out vital clues about the operation to the media.

According to sources, this act has not gone down well with the MHA. Principal Secretary (Home) G K Pillai wrote a letter on Tuesday evening to Dadwal and asked him for an explanation.

Earlier, Aggarwal had been given a dressing down by the MHA when he gave out operational details of two Hizb-ul Mujahideen terrorists who were arrested from a parking lot in Daryaganj on August 6.

Police said Aslam was carrying 6 kg of explosives, timers and detonators that were meant to be delivered to two members of the outfit in Aurangabad, Maharashtra.

The IB had been on Aslam's trail from Jammu when he boarded a bus for Delhi, the police said. He was arrested as he was about to board the Nanded-bound Sachkhand Express. Aslam has reportedly done some course from Lucknow University, the police said.

“He has disclosed the names of his two associates for whom the consignment was meant. He has undergone training at a camp in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir and knows how to make bombs,” said a police officer on condition of anonymity.

The prosecution told the court Aslam was carrying the explosives in sweet-boxes.

“Aslam has strong links in Gujarat and Maharashtra,” said Rajiv Mohan public prosecutor. He has been sent to 14 days’ police custody.