Cops to arrest woman after doctors declare her fit | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 26, 2017-Sunday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Cops to arrest woman after doctors declare her fit

delhi Updated: Mar 11, 2015 15:38 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times
female infanticide

A day after Radha Devi killed her three daughters before attempting suicide in south Delhi’s Ambedkar Nagar, police said that they would arrest her on charges of murder and attempted suicide.

Senior police officers said that though they felt sorry for the loss the woman suffered, the law did not allow them to treat her as a victim of circumstances. A case of murder had already been registered against her at the Ambedkar Nagar police station.

On Tuesday, Radha Devi, who was recuperating at Safdarjung Hospital, was produced before a Delhi court. The court heard the entire incident and investigation details before directing the police to provide counselling to the woman.

“We admitted Radha at AIIMS where she is being counselled by a team of doctors. Her statement will be recorded and we will question her to find the exact reason that forced her to commit the crime. She will be arrested once the doctors declare her fit to join the probe,” said a senior investigating officer, adding they do not suspect her husband’s role in the case.

Preliminary probe revealed that Radha used her saree to strangle her three daughters. She attempted to hang herself from a tree in the jungle behind Batra Hospital using the same saree. However, she survived as the branch of the tree that she used to hang herself broke due to her weight.

“When her first attempt failed, she tried to strangle herself again. But by that time her husband reached the spot along with his friends and stopped her. Radha had called her husband on his mobile phone after killing her three daughters to inform him that she was committing suicide in the jungle,” said the officer.

The police are trying to find if Radha had attempted similar crimes in the past. The bodies of the three minor girls were handed over to their family members after autopsy on Tuesday evening.