Couple commits suicide | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Dec 07, 2016-Wednesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Couple commits suicide

delhi Updated: Jul 25, 2011 23:02 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

Piling financial woes pushed a couple in their mid-fifties to consume a mysterious poisonous substance before slashing their wrists at their rented, first floor accommodation in northwest Delhi's Ashok Vihar, police said on Monday.

Meenu Chaudhary, deputy commissioner of police (northwest), said 56-year-old Arvind Mathur and his wife Rekha, 53, were discovered lying in a pool of blood by their daughter when she entered their room around 7.30am on Monday morning.

“Their bodies were recovered from their residence in F block of Ashok Vihar’s phase I early morning. While Arvind had slashed his wrist with a kitchen knife, his wife Rekha had slashed her left arm till the elbow. It is clearly a case of suicide,” DCP Chaudhary said.

According to statements given by the couple’s daughter Nidhi, an assistant at a private bank, and son Samarth, who is pursuing graduation from Hansraj College, the incident followed a family dinner where their parents had discussed the family’s deteriorating financial condition the previous night.

“Last night, the couple retired to bed at around 11:30pm while their son Samarth was up studying till 2:30am. Despite his parents’ discussion about their financial condition, Samarth claims he did not find anything suspicious in their actions. In the morning, their daughter Nidhi found their bodies around 7am,” the police officer added.

Mathur, who moved to his present residence with his family in January this year, was employed as a financial manager of the distribution wing of a liquor manufacturing company located at Singhu Border in Kundli.

He is understood to be depressed due to the filing of an income tax evasion case against his company, which consequently made him culpable for financial misappropriation recently, police said.

“Since copper sulphate, the blue solution, was also recovered from the scene of crime, inquest proceedings have been initiated but will be completed only after their viscera report is received,” DCP Chaudhary added.