Course in music offers entry for the talented to Delhi University | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 19, 2017-Thursday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Course in music offers entry for the talented to Delhi University

delhi Updated: Jun 23, 2013 23:30 IST
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

The submission of Delhi University’s admission forms is long over but there are some professional undergraduate courses that still have applications open. One such course is bachelors with honours in music.

Interested candidates need to have music as a subject in Class 12 or else they will have to produce certificates stating they have been learning music for at least three years.

Aspirants will have to take a performance entrance exam to seek admission in this course.

Anupam Mahajan, head, Faculty of Music and Fine Arts, said: “This is a professional, skill-based course. Marks of Class 12 are not that important. If students perform well in the entrance exam, they will be given admission.”

Students have a variety of options to choose from within this course. This year, the department has introduced an undergraduate course in percussion (tabla/pakhawaj).

Students argue that people do not take a degree in music seriously. “I have fought with my parents to apply for this course. They want me to use my singing ability and take admission in commerce,” said an applicant who did not want to be named.

After the performance entrance exam, the department assigns colleges to the students whose names appear in the merit list. Daulat Ram College, Hindu College, Indraprastha College for Women, Miranda House and Ramjas College offer bachelor with honours in music. Around 11 colleges will offer music as Discipline II.

The last date for sale and submission of the application form is June 29. Along with the filled-out application, students also have to submit a demand draft of Rs 300 (for candidates from the general category) and Rs 150 (for those from the reserved category).

The performance entrance exam will be held on July 4 and 5. The forms can be purchased from the department.