A Delhi court on Saturday declined to take on record an application of former Congress MP Sajjan Kumar seeking certain documents related to the chargesheet filed against him in 1984 anti-Sikh riot cases, saying it was aimed at causing hindrance in the progress of the case.
It sent the case for trial before a Special CBI Court against Kumar and others.
"I am not impressed with the arguments and contentions of the accused. It seems that the application has been filed to cause further hindrance in committing the case to the Sessions court," Additional Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Lokesh Kumar Sharma said.
"Under the garb of application the accused is trying to set up his defence by placing his documents and records," he said.
Kumar had sought certain documents and statement of witnesses recorded by the investigating agency during the probe into the matter.
"So far as withholding of records is concerned, it is for the prosecuting agencies to suffer consequences. The application filed by the accused is not directed to be taken on record," the Court said.
Senior advocate I U Khan, appearing for Kumar, submitted that the CBI has failed to supply the documents, necessary for the just decision of the court. He had a tough time convincing the court with regard to the contents of the documents running into over 100 pages.
"I have gone through the contents of the application and perused the documents. The bunch is so bulky, it is humanly impossible to examine the same within a short span of time," the ACMM said.