Court gets tough, denies bail to Kanimozhi, 7 others | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Dec 03, 2016-Saturday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Court gets tough, denies bail to Kanimozhi, 7 others

delhi Updated: Nov 03, 2011 18:52 IST

Agencies
Highlight Story

The bail pleas of DMK MP Kanimozhi and seven others accused in the 2G spectrum allotment scam were on Thursday dismissed by a CBI special court here. They will continue to be lodged in Tihar Jail.

Special CBI Judge OP Saini said: "All the bail applications are dismissed. The court will begin its trial from Nov 11."

Special Judge O P Saini dismissed the bail pleas, including that of former Telecom Secretary Siddharth Behura, saying the charges levelled against them were of "very serious nature."

The rejection of Kanimozhi's bail application was a slap in the face of the CBI, which had not opposed her plea, the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) said on Thursday.

"The change of stunts by CBI in Kanimozhi's case is very shocking. The court hasn't taken cognizance of CBI plea; it is a slap on the face of the CBI. Even when they have not opposed Kanimozhi bail application, the court has not granted her bail," BJP spokesperson Balbir Punj said.

The BJP leader said it was shocking how the CBI had tried to differentiate between various people accused in the 2G spectrum allocation case.

The others whose bail petitions were dismissed were former telecom minister A Raja's erstwhile Private Secretary R K Chandolia, Swan Telecom promoter Shahid Usman Balwa, Kalaignar TV MD Sharad Kumar, Kusegaon Fruits & Vegetables directors Asif Balwa and Rajiv Agarwal and Bollywood filmmaker Karim Morani.

"The facts of the case as well as the charges levelled against the accused are of very serious nature having grave implications for the economy of the country," the court said.

"I am satisfied that no case for bail is made out for any of the applicants/accused," it said.

While dismissing the bail application of Kanimozhi, daughter of former Tamil Nadu chief minister M Karunanidhi, the court said, "By no stretch of imagination she can be said to be suffering from any discrimination on ground of being a woman."

Saini had earlier reserved the order on the bail pleas of Kanimozhi, Swan Telecom promoter Shahid Usman Balwa, former communications minister A Raja's ex-private secretary RK Chandolia, Kalaignar TV chief Sharad Kumar, directors of Kusegaon Fruits & Vegetables Pvt Limited Asif Balwa and Rajiv B. Agarwal, Bollywood producer Karim Morani and former telecom secretary Siddhartha Behura.

All of them were present in court on Thursday when they were refused bail.

The CBI had preferred not to oppose the bail pleas of Kanimozhi and four others on the ground that they faced specific charges, apart from the "umbrella section" of 120-B (criminal conspiracy) IPC, which entail five years sentence as maximum punishment. Video: Why court rejected bail pleavideo

The agency has also slapped charges of criminal breach of trust under Section 409 of the IPC which carries life term as maximum punishment, against Kanimozhi and four others.

The agency, however, had opposed the bail pleas of Shahid Balwa, Chandolia and Behura.

Regarding Shahid Balwa and Chandolia, special public prosecutor UU Lalit had told the court that they should be denied bail as maximum punishment for the specific charges levelled against them was seven years.

Who are the 17 accused?

|

The spectrum saga: Timeline

|

Photogallery on 2G accused

|