Court rap for Delhi Police over casual handling of rape case | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Mar 24, 2017-Friday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Court rap for Delhi Police over casual handling of rape case

delhi Updated: Apr 15, 2012 01:06 IST

A Delhi court has expressed anguish over the "non-professional and casual" manner of the city police in chargesheeting a man, allegedly involved in gangrape-cum-murder of a minor girl, for a milder offence of attempt to rape.

"The chargesheet has been filed in a most non-professional and casual manner by invoking lesser offences. I am anguished to note that till date the investigating agency has not even bothered to further probe the aspect of cause of death of the girl," said Additional Sessions Judge (ASJ) Kamini Lau.

The judge was upset that despite medical records suggesting that the 15-year-old girl was raped, the police chargesheeted the accused only for the offence of attempt to rape and causing grievous hurt to her.

The court framed charges against Delhi resident Hitesh for allegedly raping the girl with the help of his associate Monu in a moving car on March 19, 2010 in Bawana area in Northwest Delhi after kidnapping her. His accomplice Monu is absconding.

The court said as the girl had resisted the rape attempt in the car, the accused hit her hard on her backbone, leading to immediate paralysis waist downward.

The judge noted that after raping the girl, the accused "deliberately" drove their car into a ditch, making it look like an accident. They had already jumped out of the car but the victim, who was inside, suffered further injuries and eventually died last year after a long treatment.

The court has put Hitesh on trial for offences of murder, kidnapping, gangrape, destruction of evidence and various other penal provisions of the IPC.

Police said the incident took place when the girl was returning from her grandparents' house in March 2010. On her way home, she was accosted by the accused men and dragged inside their car.

The ASJ added, "For the young girl aged 15 years, her life virtually came to an end within a matter of minutes as soon as she was forcibly lifted by the accused and raped in the moving car, which thereafter was driven into a ditch in an attempt to finish her. The trauma and pain which the girl must have undergone cannot be imagined."

The court also noted that a magistrate had to go to the hospital to record her statement.