A Delhi court will decide on September 15 whether to put former telecom minister A Raja, DMK MP Kanimozhi and 15 others on trial for their alleged role in the 2G spectrum allocation scam, which according to CBI has said caused a loss of Rs 30,984 crore to the public exchequer.
"The matter is now fixed on September 15 for orders (on framing of charges)," special CBI judge O P Saini said on Monday after special CBI prosecutor U U Lalit wrapped up his final argument, rebutting the plea of innocence by all the accused, including three telecom firms, two bureaucrats, nine corporate honchos and a filmmaker.
Lalit wrapped up his argument while pleading to the court to frame charges of corruption and other penal offences against all 17 accused and put them on trial for their alleged roles in the case.
While concluding his argument, Lalit told the court that Swan Telecom and Unitech got the licences despite their complete ineligibility to get the same.
He said both the companies off-loaded their shares soon after getting the licences and garnered around Rs 7,300 crore in the process.
The special public prosecutor, specifically appointed by the apex court to prosecute the case, however, clarified that there is no evidence or material available on record to indicate that there was any quid pro quo by Unitech (Tamil Nadu) Wireless Pvt Ltd vis-a-vis anybody or party.
"We are conscious that so far as Unitech is concerned, we have found nothing to show any money trail against them. There is no quid pro quo as far as money exchanging hands is concerned in relation to Unitech," he said.