In a scathing indictment of organisations involved in executing works relating to the Commonwealth Games (CWG), the Central Vigilance Commission has said that besides awarding the works to ineligible agencies, several organisations considered inadmissible factors to jack-up project costs citing urgent circumstances.
After finding serious irregularities in almost all the 15 works inspected by the CVC's Chief Technical Examiner's (CTE) wing so far, the Commission has sent its report to the organisations concerned and directed them to fix the responsibility against officers for the lapses.
Following the CVC's findings, several political parties, including the BJP, RJD, CPM, on Friday demanded a high-level probe into the execution of works relating to the CWG.
In one case, the Commisison has even asked the CBI to register a corruption case against some MCD officials for alleged irregularities in tender issued for granting work for upgradation of street lighting in Delhi.
The 15 projects were executed by organisations like the Public Works Department, the Municipal Corporation of Delhi, the Delhi Development Authority, the New Delhi Municipal Corporation, the Central Public Works Department and RITES.
Not only the bids were tampered with, the quality of works was also found substandard despite higher rates paid to executing agencies, the Commission found.
"But this is not the final report. CTE's inspection reports would be followed by the agency's reply and scrutinised at various levels before it is given the final shape. Action will be initiated against officers only when they are found responsible in the final report," a top CVC officer told HT.
The CVC, he said, had already received a large number of complaints that were being examined by the Commission.
During the inspections, the CVC found that concrete core samples taken from the already laid concrete failed to meet the requirement of strength during testing in an independent laboratory. The quality of anti-corrosive treatment on reinforcement of steel was also found to be poor. Almost all agencies have taken up the work of street scaping, especially kerbstone and footpath tiles, without ascertaining the need for such up-gradation, the CVC said.
The Commission also found serious irregularities in the installation of streetlights, while a lot of deviations were made in implementing some schemes without even obtaining the approval of the competent authority.
1. Construction of Grade Separator at Rajaram Kohli Marg intersection and Shastri Nagar intersection at East Delhi -- PWD
2. Construction of Elevated Road over Barapulla Nallah starting from Sarai Kale Khan to Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium -- PWD
3. Construction of 3-level Grade Separator at Crossing of NH-24 and Road no 56 at Ghazipur on NH-24, Delhi -- PWD
4. Construction of Flyover at Naraina T-point, Ring Road, New Delhi -- PWD
5. Covering of Sunahari Nallah from Lala Lajpat Rai Marg (Behind Lodhi Hotel) to Dayal Singh College along Lodhi Road and Covering of Kushak Nallah from JNU (sotuh Gate) to IVth Avenue Road, Lodhi Rd, for providing
parking facility for CWG-2010 -- MCD
6. CWG village near Akshardham Temple (swimming pool, training hall, fitness centre, Athletic track) -- DDA
7. Upgradation of Street Lighting on Roads in Delhi under jurisdiction of MCD -- MCD
8. Upgradation of Street Lighting on Delhi PWD Roads under M-1 zone, M-2 zene and M-3 zone -- PWD
9. Construction of indoor stadium for Badminton and Squash for CWG at Sirifort Sports Complex -- DDA
10. Improvement/upgradation of Shivali Stadium -- NDMC
11. Upgradation and renovation of Major Dhyan Chand National Stadium, New Delhi -- CPWD
12. Upgradation of Talkatora Stadium (construction of addtional blocks) -- NDMC
13. Upgradation of Dr. SPM Swimming Pool -- CPWD
14. Development of practice venue for Rugby at Jamia Milia Islamia University -- RITES
15. Road Under Bridge at Prem Nagar/Sewa Nagar Railway crossing -- MCD