CWG scam: Darbari, Mahendroo sent to CBI's custody for 6 days | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Dec 09, 2016-Friday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

CWG scam: Darbari, Mahendroo sent to CBI's custody for 6 days

delhi Updated: Nov 16, 2010 20:44 IST

PTI
Highlight Story

A Delhi court today allowed CBI to quiz former CWG Organising Committee officials T S Darbari and Sanjay Mahendroo for 6 days in its custody after the probe agency said it has recovered "voluminous incriminating" documents from their houses and CWG office revealing graft.

"Accused are required to be confronted with voluminous incriminating documents recovered from the residential premises of the accused and from the office of the Organising Committee of CWG, 2010," the agency said while seeking to interrogate them in custody.

The agency said custodial interrogation of the close aides of OC chief Suresh Kalmadi was required to unearth the alleged money trail to the tune of 1.4 lakh pounds relating to Queen's Baton Relay held in London last year.

Allowing the plea, Special CBI Judge A S Yadav sent the accused duo to CBI's cusotdy till November 22. "Both the accused were arrested only yesterday. Their further custodial interrogation is required to unearth the conspiracy and the names of other possible co-accused," the court said. The agency, in its application, said the accused, whose role in the offence was of serious nature, were "high-profile and well connected persons" and were not co-operating in the probe.

"In order to unearth the multi-crore rupees scam, the names of co-accused involved in the crime, use of defrauded money by the accused, modus operandi of the offence and their link in India and abroad are required to be ascertained, for which their custodial interrogation was required.

"The accused are high profile and well-connected persons and if left free at the stage of preliminary investigation, it is likely that they may tamper with the evidence and influence vital witnesses," the application said. Detailing the role of the accused, CBI said they entered into a criminal conspiracy by abusing their official position and awarded work to M/s AM Car and Van Hire Limited on the basis of false and forged documents (emails) and thereby caused a huge loss to the government and corresponding illegal gain to the firm.

The counsel for the accused, however, opposed CBI's plea, saying Darbari, former OC Joint Director General, and Mahendroo, former OC Deputy Director General, have been co-operating and their premises have already been searched and nothing remains to be recovered. Darbari told the court that "I did not take any decision. All the decisions regarding the tendering process were taken by the 13-member OC."