CWG scam: Key suspect yet to record statement with CBI | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Dec 05, 2016-Monday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

CWG scam: Key suspect yet to record statement with CBI

delhi Updated: Jan 04, 2012 23:22 IST
Abhishek Sharan
Abhishek Sharan
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

Despite his assurances, London-based businessman Ashish Patel, a key suspect in the alleged irregularities related to the award of the Commonwealth Games’ (CWG) Queen’s Baton Relay (QBR) contract to his two firms, has not recorded his statement with the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI).

Since last April, Patel had allegedly assured the probe agency twice about recording his statement. His statement was to be recorded — voluntarily — with the UK’s Scotland Yard that would have then forwarded it to the CBI.

“Last November, Patel had informed the Scotland Yard that he was ready to voluntarily record his statement, but he has not done it yet,” said a CBI source. The source added, “He had earlier given his assurance to a two-member CBI team that had quizzed him in London last April in connection with the QBR case, in which he is a key suspect.”

The source said, “We are now in touch with the authorities, with a request to persuade Patel to record his statement, since as per their law they cannot force him as the crime in question had occurred in.”

The absence of Patel’s statement has delayed the CBI from filing its chargesheet in the case as otherwise its probe has been completed, the source added.

The QBR event was held in London in October 2009. Two of Patel’s firms — AM Films Ltd and AM Car and Van Hire — had bagged the QBR deals. The CBI has so far received substantial cooperation from the authorities after it had sent formal requests to them.