Delhi acid attack: How a simple syringe led cops to mastermind

  • Mohit Sharma, Hindustan Times, New Delhi
  • Updated: Dec 26, 2014 07:27 IST

The syringe used by two juveniles to throw acid on the 30-year-old doctor at Rajouri Garden on Tuesday led to the arrest of the main accused.

The police got the lead in the acid attack case, sources said, when after the victim said the accused squirted acid through a syringe used for medical purposes. The unique method used by the assailants gave away the mastermind.

“While the case was being probed from different angles, the used of the syringe ruled out robbery as the motive,” said a police officer.

The nature of the acidic substance also raised questions. “The chemical had to be obtained from a laboratory and was not regular acid, indicating at the involvement of someone from a chemical or medicinal background,” the official added.

Investigation revealed that the alleged assailants had followed the victim from her house.

The Delhi Police arrested Ashok Yadav — the mastermind behind the attack — on Thursday morning. Yadav is a senior resident doctor at a private hospital in Raja Garden and had known the victim for more than 10 years, and was allegedly in a relationship with her for more than three years.

But when the victim turned down his proposal to marry him, he decided to take revenge.

Sources in the department said Yadav wanted to scar the victim to break her marriage. “He wanted to hurt her so that no one else apart from him would marry her,” said a police officer.

The victim didn’t suspect the accused at all. “The victim trusted the accused so much that she threatened to take the case back if investigators implicated anything on him or subjected him to questioning,” said a senior police official.

Yadav had planned the attack with his friend Vaibhav and hired two juveniles for Rs 25,000 to carry out the plan. The juveniles stole a bike for the crime.

During investigation, Yadav said that he had carried out a dummy run on himself to check the accuracy.

“They practised on December 17 with water and after a successful trial, planned the attack for December 21. But the attack failed then because the victim took her car to work,” said Pushpendra Kumar, DCP (west). After Tueday’s attack, Yadav told the juveniles to bring take the belongings and dispose of the bag and the mobile phone. The police recovered the victim’s bag from Khyala and had traced the location of the phone to Yamuna Vihar.

also read

Delhi: Friend hired juveniles for acid attack on doc
Show comments