Delhi cop arrested for firing at auto driver | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Apr 24, 2017-Monday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Delhi cop arrested for firing at auto driver

delhi Updated: Apr 15, 2013 00:40 IST
HT Correspondent

A Delhi Police constable was arrested and later suspended after a bullet fired allegedly from his service revolver critically injured a 25-year-old autorickshaw driver on Saturday night.

The incident occured inside a police barrack located in east Delhi’s Jagatpuri police station.

Even as senior police officers said they were yet to establish the sequence of events, sources said the bullet was fired allegedly by constable Ranvir Tomar, who was in an inebriated state at the time of the incident.

The victim, Rakesh alias Rinku, was allegedly present at the police barrack with his friend, a notorious criminal, and the police constable when the bullet was fired following an alleged argument between the three over a trivial issue.

The hit Rakesh in the jaw and got lodged inside. Hearing the gunshot other police officers at the police station immediately went to Tomar’s barrack and found Rakesh lying in a pool of blood.

“He was immediately rushed to a nearby private hospital and from there he was shifted to the LNJP hospital. The doctors at LNJP conducted an operation and took out the bullet. His condition was stated to be stable, but critical,” said the officer, adding Rakesh too has a case against him at the Shakarpur police station.

Rakesh is battling for his life at the LNJP Hospital in central Delhi. He lives with his family at Khoda Colony in east Delhi.

Police have arrested Tomar and the criminal, who has been identified as one Udaiveer.

Tomar was reportedly posted at the Jagatpuri police station and used to stay in the police barrack located in the premises. An enquiry has been ordered into the entire incident.

Rakesh had gone to meet his friend Udaiveer in the evening. Together, they had gone to meet Tomar who was in his barrack after finishing his duty.

“The three were in flat number 22 on the third floor of the building. Though it is not clear what happened inside, the interrogation of Tomar and Udaiveer has revealed that the bullet was fired accidentally during the argument,” said a senior police officer.

Rakesh’s father Gyan Prakash said he learnt about the matter after a call was made on his mobile phone from the hospital.

“We don’t know what exactly happened to my son and who fired the bullet. He is not in a position to talk as doctors have told us that he has a fracture in his jaw,” Prakash told HT.