Delhi cops net big fish after chasing biker | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 18, 2017-Wednesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Delhi cops net big fish after chasing biker

delhi Updated: Mar 10, 2013 01:30 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

The city police got much more than they had bargained for after a brief chase on Saturday. They managed to lay their hands on the mastermind behind the kidnapping of the five-year-old son of a Meerut-based jeweller.

It was a routine police patrolling in West Delhi’s Nihal Vihar during which they noticed a man speeding on a bike. But, soon after noticing the patrol party, the biker turned around, raising their suspicion.

The police patrol chased the biker, thinking it might be a robber or snatcher. However, when they finally cornered the guy after a brief chase, they were surprised with the catch they had netted.

Identified as one Ashok, the police recovered a country-made pistol and two live cartridges from him. He was subjected to interrogation during which he revealed that he was the man behind the plot to kidnap the son of the jeweller for ransom.

“We were shocked when Ashok claimed that he had masterminded the kidnapping of the jeweller’s son. We immediately contacted our counterparts in Meerut who confirmed his involvement,” said a senior police officer.

The jeweller’s son had been rescued from Ghaziabad on Friday and the police had arrested Ashok’s sister and brother-in-law — Dipika and Santosh - in the case.

They had demanded a ransom of Rs.20 lakh from the boy’s parents. The police was on the lookout for Ashok since then.

Ashok told the police that he was in dire need of money and had hatched a plan to kidnap the son of the jeweller. Eight years ago when the businessman himself was kidnapped the family had paid a “ransom running into crores”.

Ashok was employed as a driver with the family then. Taking a cue from his former employer’s abduction, Ashok planned the kidnapping of his son, he confessed to the police.

“As per the plan, Ashok quit the job around two months ago. On Thursday, they kidnapped the child from outside a playschool in Meerut. But the UP Police managed to trace them and rescued the boy,” said the officer.