Delhi firing: Suspects scouted area four times before attack | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 26, 2017-Sunday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Delhi firing: Suspects scouted area four times before attack

delhi Updated: Sep 20, 2010 10:42 IST
Vijaita Singh
Vijaita Singh
Hindustan Times
Vijaita Singh

The two men who attacked a Taiwanese media group near Gate number 3 of Jama Masjid reportedly recced the area four times before opening fire.

Eyewitnesses said they had seen two men on a motorcycle driving suspiciously in the area before the attack. Constable Pramod Kumar who was patrolling the area became suspicious when he saw the two men stop near a parked bus, in which the tourists were getting in.

There are no close circuit television (CCTV) cameras outside the mosque, making it difficult for the police to get any videographic evidence. Only one police control room (PCR) van was parked near the attack site and that too proved to be of no help.

The Jama Masjid police station is a stone's throw away from the crime site. The police said they have got several registration numbers of motorcycles which the people in the area had noted down and were verifying them.

"We are trying to make a sketch of the accused with the help of the eyewitness account," said a senior police officer. The police have registered a case of attempt to murder and Arms Act violation at the Jama Masjid police station.

No case has been registered in the car explosion case, it will be done after the forensic reports are in. The police said the assailants reportedly used a firearm of .38 bore. Seven empty shells of 9 mm and a magazine that fell down accidentally were recovered from the spot.

"Some bullets were fired even in the air. The attackers knew all the by lanes of the area and had no problem in fleeing the scene. They came from the police station side and fled towards Chawri Bazaar. We believe novice criminals carried it out and their motive was only to create panic. They even dropped a magazine in the melee. We have seized it and sent it for further examination," said the officer.

“It seems the weapon was of prohibited nature — used by policemen and security personnel. We are examining them,” said the officer.

They were also analysing mobile phone numbers active in the area at the time of incident. “We have got access to dump records and are analysing them minutely,” said the officer.

The police said they were raiding the nearby shops selling raincoats in the area to get any clue about the accused men. “We are presuming that the assailants might not have had an inkling of an overcast weather on Sunday morning. So they might have bought one the same day,” said the officer.