Delhi: Fugitive who fled from custody for kidnapping, raping minor held after eight months | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Mar 26, 2017-Sunday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Delhi: Fugitive who fled from custody for kidnapping, raping minor held after eight months

delhi Updated: Mar 17, 2017 22:43 IST
HT Correspondent
Rape accused held

Lal Singh.

A 22-year-old fugitive, accused of allegedly kidnapping, raping a minor girl multiple times in Haryana and Uttar Pradesh, was arrested last week, almost eight months after he escaped from police custody by breaking the lock-up of the Nangloi police station, police said on Friday. A cash reward of Rs25,000 was announced on his arrest.

Lal Singh was arrested on June 28, 2016, for allegedly kidnapping and sexually assaulting a minor girl. He was kept in the lock-up, as he was to be produced before a city court. But in the wee hours of June 29, Singh somehow removed the iron bars of the lock-up and escaped.

Read more

When Singh could not be arrested despite multiple raids, the Delhi Police announced a reward of Rs25,000 to anybody who provided them any lead about Singh or helped the police arrest him. Apart from the kidnapping and rape case, a case of escaping from police custody was also registered against Singh, said police.

MN Tiwari, deputy commissioner of police (outer district), said that the fugitive was arrested following multiple raids conducted by their team in various parts in Haryana’s Mewat and Nuh and in Uttar Pradesh. “Our team received information about Singh’s hideout in Gurgaon on March 11. The information was developed and he was caught after a raid the very same day,” said Tiwari.

On June 23, 2016, Tiwari said, one person approached the Nangloi police and filed the missing complaint of his minor daughter. A kidnapping case was registered and during investigation the girl was rescued and reunited with her family three days later.

Read more

In her statement before the child welfare committee, the girl alleged that Singh, whom she had earlier met at her relative’s house in Nuh, met her outside her home on June 23 and offered her some spiked drink. When she felt dizzy, Singh put her in a van and took her to an unknown place in Haryana. He further took her to different places in Haryana and Uttar Pradesh and raped her multiple times.

“We rescued the girl on June 26 and Singh was arrested two days later,” said an investigator.