The Delhi metro might just get the boost it is looking for. On Tuesday, the Delhi government proposed an increased allocation of R1,071 crore for the network's Phase 3 expansion. The proposed allocation is much higher than R580 crore given to it by the Union Budget on February 28.
"Although there is always the provision of modifications in the actual allocation, this proposal is a positive sign. We are waiting for the details," said Mangu Singh, director (works), DMRC.
"A total allocation of R1,651 crore has been proposed for the current fiscal by both the governments even before the official go-ahead has been given to the project. Once it gets official clearance, we will immediately start the work," said a source.
Delhi Metro had submitted a complete DPR to the state government early this month and also made a presentation to the Planning Commission last month. The corporation, however, is yet to receive any official go-ahead from any of the governments.
According to Singh, "Budgetary allocations by both Union and state governments clearly indicate in-principal approvals." Each government is supposed to share 40% of the total project cost of R32,000 crore, while 20% would be taken as loan from outside.
The DMRC would initiate the tendering process within a couple of months, said a senior official. However, it might take five to six months to start the physical work, he said.
The project work for Phase 3 is scheduled to be completed by March 2016, and will bring the total length of metro network to 390km.