Delhi: Judicial custody for men accused of killing siblings | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 18, 2017-Wednesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Delhi: Judicial custody for men accused of killing siblings

delhi Updated: Mar 06, 2013 19:14 IST

Highlight Story

A man and his two friends who allegedly murdered a seven-year-old boy and his five-year-old sister after failing to get Rs. 30 lakh ransom from their parents were on Wednesday sent to 14-day judicial custody by a Delhi court.

The victims' uncle and two others were produced before a duty magistrate after expiry of their three-day police custody.

The court remanded them in judicial custody till March 20 after the Delhi Police said that they no longer require the trio for custodial interrogation.

Police had arrested the siblings' uncle Amit Singh, 22, and his friends Shivam Gupta, 19, and Pankaj Kashyap, 19, for kidnapping and murdering the two kids. Their fourth associate Abhishek is yet to be arrested.

The kids were found dead near Pragati Maidan on the morning of March 2 by a taxi driver, four days after they were kidnapped from their school in east Delhi's Mandawali area.

The police had said the four accused were eyeing on Rs. 30 lakh which the family had got in a property deal a few days ago. Being their relative, Singh was aware of the deal.

It had said that the accused had tried to kidnap both the children on a previous occasion on February 23 but could not do so as they were absent from the school that day.

After kidnapping them on February 24, they had made ransom calls to the parents but when they saw there was little chance of getting the money, they allegedly strangulated the kids and smashed their heads with stones, the police had said.

Singh had finalised a deal for buying a flat in Mandawali and needed Rs six lakh for clinching it, it had said.

Kashyap had lost heavily in gambling and had debt of Rs. 1.5 lakh and needed money to repay it, police had said, adding that Gupta and Abhishek needed money.

Kashyap, Gupta and Abhishek were to get a share of Rs. two lakh each and the rest was to be kept by Singh, it had said.

Ransom calls made from telephone booths near the victims' family residence gave police the first headway and suspicion fell on Singh, who was trying to raise money for a property deal.

After Singh "confessed" to the crime, he and his two accomplices were arrested, police had said.