Delhi: L-G reviews terror threat, tells police to step up checks

  • Shishir Gupta, Hindustan Times, New Delhi
  • Updated: Dec 06, 2014 00:39 IST

Lieutenant governor Najeeb Jung Friday summoned city police chief BS Bassi and other senior officers of the force to review steps taken to counter an “imminent sensational attack” by Pakistan-based Lashkar-e-Taiba in the Capital, sources said.

With intelligence inputs warning of the terror outfit’s plan to carry out multiple strikes ahead of US President Barack Obama’s visit, Jung asked all police stations to round up “undesirable elements”, sources said. Obama will be the chief guest at the Republic Day parade on January 26.

HT wrote on December 4 that security had been stepped up and anti-sabotage checks put in place following the alert. Lashkar has carried out several deadly attacks in India, including the 26/11 Mumbai strike. “Attack teams and sharp-shooters have been detailed to take on the terror threat emanating from the proscribed group headed by Hafiz Saeed,” a officer, who was at the meeting, told HT.

Though counter-terror operatives believe the intelligence could have been for multiple strikes in the Kashmir Valley, the city police are not taking a chance, with security agencies warning of serial attacks. The Valley Friday was jolted by four terror attacks in 12 hours that left 21 people dead, 11 of them security men.

Commissioner Bassi was also asked to intensify patrolling from Friday evening itself, with strict security check of vehicles on city roads.

As the city alert didn’t specify time or date, security agencies had asked their associates for more precise information to stamp out the Lashkar threat, sources said.

also read

Man stabs wife to death in South Delhi after fight on way to work
Show comments