Delhi: Man dies of electric shock in ATM booth

  • HT Correspondent, Hindustan Times, New Delhi
  • Updated: Aug 03, 2014 00:32 IST

A 35-year-old man was electrocuted at an ATM machine installed in a semi-urban northwest Delhi village on Saturday.

Shyamnath Pandey, a factory hand in west Delhi, suffered a fatal electric shock after unknowingly coming in contact with a wire hanging from an overhead electricity metre in the Holambi Kalan area around 12 pm.

The wire, a senior police officer said quoting preliminary investigation, was touching the metal façade of a rolling shutter installed outside the ATM booth. He is suspected to have been electrocuted almost immediately after touching the entry gate of the booth.

He was rushed to a nearby hospital where doctors confirmed that he was dead. A case of causing death due to negligence has been registered at the Shahbad Dairy police station.

“We are probing the incident and have written to several agencies suggesting that they initiate their own study of the spot to get to the bottom of the matter,” said Vikramjeet Singh, deputy commissioner of police (outer).

“Officials from the electricity and labour department have been contacted to ascertain the exact cause of electrocution,” DCP Singh added.

also read

Ben 10, Kareena Kapoor cracker covers add to Diwali flavour
Show comments