Delhi: Minor blaze at IHC, caretaker injured | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Dec 10, 2016-Saturday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Delhi: Minor blaze at IHC, caretaker injured

delhi Updated: Jun 10, 2013 22:44 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

A 32-year-old caretaker was injured after he slipped while trying to quell a minor blaze at an office located in central Delhi’s India Habitat Centre (IHC), the Delhi Fire Services (DFS) said on Monday.

According to the DFS, the fire broke out on the fourth floor of HUDCO Bhawan, located within the IHC’s campus, around 11 am and was probably triggered by a short-circuit in an air-conditioner. “Gopal, the caretaker, was the lone person present in the vicinity. When he smelt smoke and went to investigate inside an office chamber, he saw several files burning and ran to fetch a bucket of water,” said a police officer.

Meanwhile, the DFS was alerted and eight fire tenders were rushed to the spot. Gopal was trying to quell the blaze with an extinguisher even as fire-fighters took their positions outside the office.When some members from the team reached inside and asked him to step away from the spot, Gopal accidentally fell off the stairs.

“He was rushed to Safdurjung Hospital where he was admitted but later discharged after being treated for minor injuries,” the police officer said.