Delhi: Minor kidnaps, murders for latest phones | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 21, 2017-Tuesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Delhi: Minor kidnaps, murders for latest phones

delhi Updated: Nov 30, 2014 14:22 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times

A day after the body of a six-year-old son of a fruitseller was recovered from a park in west Delhi’s Naraina, the central Delhi police on Saturday apprehended a 17-year-old boy for the murder.

Police said the juvenile, who is a neighbour of the deceased, kidnapped the victim to extort Rs1.5 lakh from his father, a fruitseller in Ranjeet Nagar.

The boy has told the police that he wanted to purchase the new series of iPhone 6 and Galaxy Note 3 with the money. He told police that he wanted to impress his girlfriend and other friends and lead a lavish lifestyle, police said.

Alok Kumar, additional CP (central), said the victim Ganesh was last seen playing outside his home at about 8.45 pm on Thursday. His father, Pramod Kumar, received a ransom call at about 9.15 pm from an unknown number.

“The caller demanded Rs1.5 lakh for his safe release,” said Kumar. Pramod called the police control room and a case of kidnapping for ransom was registered at the Ranjit Nagar police station.

On Friday evening, the west Delhi police informed the investigating teams about a body inside Satya Park in Naraina. Ganesh’s parents identified the body as their son’s.

The police found out that Ganesh was last seen playing with the juvenile before he went missing. The juvenile was interviewed at length in the presence of his parents.

“He disclosed that he was in needed money to buy expensive phones and lead a lavish lifestyle. He came to know that the deceased’s father recently had spent Rs1.5 lakh on heart surgery. He lured Ganesh on the pretext of letting him play mobile games and took him to an isolated place in Satya Park where he slashed his throat and stabbed him several times,” added Kumar.

After killing the boy, the juvenile made the ransom call using a stolen SIM card. “After brutally killing the child, the juvenile came back to his house and washed his clothes and even took part in the search of the child with the family to avoid being suspected,” said Kumar.